Login as a User

how long does it take to get addicted to suboxone

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Suboxone
  4. >
  5. how long does it take to get addicted to suboxone

Asked: 2019-09-20 19:30:14

I'm worried about my brother. He's been on suboxone for a while now and I'm starting to think he's becoming addicted to it. How long does it usually take for someone to get addicted to this stuff?

Answered: 2019-09-21 02:15:20

People can become addicted to Suboxone if they continue taking it day after day without following their treatment. It can sneak up on you when you least expect it. Your brother can do his own research, in my opinion.

Answered: 2019-09-21 02:55:01

People who want to get help for their addiction, should seek medical attention. Therefore, when they are undergoing Suboxone treatment, your doctor can monitor the process and make sure you aren't going to become addicted to the medicine. Addiction to Suboxone doesn't happen that often, but it usually occurs when addicts begin to abuse it recreationally or don't follow their treatment as they should.

Answered: 2019-09-22 20:17:00

People don't always get addicted to this drug when they take it while following the directions from their doctor. However, some are known to become addicted from abusing the drug recreationally.

Answered: 2019-09-22 17:11:07

Hey, I hope your brother is alright. People can become addicted to Suboxone if they start abusing it, whether they mean to or not. Some do it thinking they are trying to get better faster, but it doesn't always work out that way. Look up some signs of addiction to Suboxone and see if he's showing any of them.

Answered: 2019-09-22 17:02:46

Some might take the drug more and more, thinking they will get better that way or something. So, most get addicted through abuse. Those who do what their doctors tell them to do shouldn't get addicted, and if they do then the doctor can help observe any signs of addiction.

Answered: 2021-07-12 13:35:01

about a week. The problem is the dosage of this medication is so massively overprescribed that it's likely he is taking 4-10x the amount he needs. 2-4 mg is actually a really strong dose and they will often prescribe 12-24 mg or even 32mg...which is totally counterproductive imo. The withdrawals from long half life opiates like suboxone and methadone are much worse than from short acting opiates like heroin/ oxycodone because the symptoms persist for way longer. Depending on the dosage and how long one has been taking suboxone it could be a solid two weeks of really bad restless legs and insomnia. Suboxone has a speedy effect when taken, so the opposite happens during withdrawal: total exhaustion. Couple that with insomnia and restlessness and you've got the nightmare of opiate withdrawal...but totally magnified. The only way to know if the withdrawals are tolerable is to taper down (to 1- 0.5mg) and eventually stop taking the subs. If you have been taking the a while, don't expect withdrawals to even start for a 2-3 days. If it's unbearable then do a microtaper. I suggest going down by. 0.1 mg per day. you can do this with a scale if you have strips or a liquid taper method with the pills (dissolve them then administer corresponding volume each day with a plastic syringe). if 0.1 is too rough then drop down by 0.05 mg/day. it will take about a month and you'll be tired but its not a horrendous nightmare. clonidine and gabapentin are extremely helpful for opiate detox and are totally non-narcotic. I suggest using those as prescribed.

We want to listen to your answers