Login as a User

is buprenorphine addictive

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Suboxone
  4. >
  5. is buprenorphine addictive

Asked: 2019-08-19 08:31:26

The doctors say they want to put me on buprenorphine to combat my opiate addiction. Is it likely that I will become addicted to this substance too?

Answered: 2019-08-19 19:28:02

I'm sorry to hear about your opiate addiction but I'm so glad you're exploring the options for treatment and recovery. There's a second chance at life on the horizon for you. When you're taking buprenorphine there is a slight risk of addiction, but this medication is not as strong or addictive as other opiates. If you listen to your doctor and take the prescribed doses only when you are supposed to, then you are not that likely to become addicted. Just be careful and talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

Answered: 2019-08-20 01:44:25

The chance of you becoming addicted to buprenorphine is not that high so long as you take this medication as prescribed. You need to stick to your treatment plan in order to succeed at overcoming your opiate addiction. That means taking buprenorphine in the exact amount your doctor prescribed, when you're supposed to. I genuinely hope you can make it through this process and achieve sobriety.

Answered: 2019-08-20 11:14:36

Oh my goodness, what part of drugs are addictive and deadly don't you understand? All drugs can lead to addiction, it's better not to take anything at all.

Answered: 2019-08-20 05:39:28

Yes, buprenorphine does carry a slight risk of addiction, although not as much as full acting opioids such as heroin or hydrocodone. Buprenorphine is a partial opiate agonist, meaning it has a slower onset and effects. You need to be aware of the risk of addiction, but if you take buprenorphine carefully under your doctor's orders your risk of addiction will be relatively low.

Answered: 2019-08-20 20:26:12

As a medication with a slow onset and mild effects, buprenorphine is less additive than other opiates such as heroin, morphine or oxycodone. That being said, there is always a risk of addiction, so it's important to be careful and take this medicine just as your doctors prescribe. If you start to abuse buprenorphine then you're traveling down a dangerous path.

We want to listen to your answers