Login as a User

is buprenorphine an opiate

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Suboxone
  4. >
  5. is buprenorphine an opiate

Asked: 2019-09-11 08:25:13

I heard someone say buprenorphine was an opiate stimulant but I don't feel like that's right. What exactly is this drug that the doctors want to put my boyfriend on to combat his addiction?

Answered: 2019-09-12 21:43:00

Whoever said that buprenorphine was a stimulant was incorrect. Buprenorphine is a depressant, as this opiate medication slows down the central nervous system. Plus buprenorphine helps to stop the effects of other opiates, so people like your boyfriend are more likely to make it through the withdrawal process. I hope that clears this up for you!

Answered: 2019-09-12 16:50:24

That's good news that the doctors want to put your boyfriend on buprenorphine. My partner was put on buprenorphine six months ago and it's made a massive difference. Before he used to relapse every time he tried to stop using, but now he has remained sober thus far and it's because his withdrawal symptoms are not as bad due to the buprenorphine. This opiate depressant could help your boyfriend with his recovery, I strongly believe that.

Answered: 2019-09-11 11:52:24

Whatever drug the doctors put him on, it won't do any good. It's impossible for drug addicts to get clean.

Answered: 2019-09-11 20:48:33

Buprenorphine is an opiate used for pain relief that depresses rather than stimulates the central nervous system. Because buprenorphine blocks full-acting opiates such as heroin and morphine, this medication is often used to combat opiate addiction. The idea is that people who suffer from addiction can take buprenorphine in prescribed doses to keep their withdrawal symptoms under control and increase the likelihood of a successful recovery without relapse.

Answered: 2019-09-13 04:09:57

Buprenorphine is not a stimulant, it's a depressant so it should slow your boyfriend's body down. It is an opiate though so you've got that part right. Your boyfriend is in good hands if he goes to the doctor's for this treatment. I hope he goes through with the treatment for your sake - it's an absolute life saver in my opinion. I myself was addicted to drugs before I got on buprenorphine, and that along with my time at rehab had a profound impact on my life and helped me get sober.

We want to listen to your answers