Login as a User

is methadone the same as buprenorphine

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Suboxone
  4. >
  5. is methadone the same as buprenorphine

Asked: 2019-03-31 02:15:49

Hello, guys. I hope that you can help me here. I used methadone a few years ago and now I’m about to start using a similar drug called buprenorphine. I know that they are both opioids but are these two drugs the same? Like different brands for the same thing? Or are they actually different drugs?

Answered: 2019-04-01 10:48:42

There are several characteristics that set them apart. Buprenorphine stays on the body between 24 to 60 hours and the other drug between 8 and 59. Methadone is also stronger, so it’s recommended for cases in which the patient suffers from a heavy withdrawal syndrome after using heroin for a long time.

Answered: 2019-03-31 18:38:52

Despite being two opioids that act on the receptors, these drugs are not the same. Methadone acts on brain receptors until they are fully activated. Buprenorphine, on the other hand, has a weaker effect on them.

Answered: 2019-04-01 11:47:38

This is a mistake that I see a lot of people doing. Nope, they are not the same, pal. In fact, these two drugs are pretty different. It’s not only because they are both opioids that they are the same. This is the same as believing that heroin and morphine are the same.

Answered: 2019-04-01 14:14:18

Hello, Eric. No, they are not the same. They are two different substances. I’m a pharmacist, so I can explain both the differences and similarities of these two drugs for you. First, you should know that as they are two opioids, they can activate the opioid receptors of the brain cells. Now, the differences. Opioids can be agonists or antagonists. Agonists basically act upon the opioid receptors while antagonists block them. While methadone is a full opioid agonist and it basically affects the receptors by activating them, buprenorphine is a partial agonist, having characteristics of both sides. This way, the receptors are less affected and the drug has a different effect.

Answered: 2019-04-01 04:21:13

No, they are not different brands. One of them is a partial agonist and the other is a full agonist. Different effects, then. You can determine whether something is only a different brand because all of these medicines need to state the substances that they have, not only their commercial names.

We want to listen to your answers