Login as a User

is subutex an opiate blocker

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Suboxone
  4. >
  5. is subutex an opiate blocker

Asked: 2019-08-06 19:39:33

I’ve recently started a new treatment for heroin addiction with a drug called Subutex. According to my doctor, this drug will help me to live without such a strong craving for the drug. Is Subutex one of these popular opioid blockers that I have heard about?

Answered: 2019-08-07 11:18:16

You may be confusing Subutex with Suboxone if you believe it’s a blocker. The difference is that both of these products have buprenorphine, which is an opioid, but only the latter has naloxone, which blocks the substance from attaching to your brain receptors.

Answered: 2019-08-07 19:32:23

Subutex is what is called a partial agonist. It does not fully activate the opioid receptors of your brain, but it does not block them either. Don’t worry, though, the drug is still very useful for the treatment of heroin addiction, it just works in a different way.

Answered: 2019-08-08 10:06:19

Subutex relieves you from the withdrawal of the addiction by giving only a small portion of the effect of strong opioids such as heroin and morphine. It does not block them from entering your brain, however. Only other drugs would effectively do that.

Answered: 2019-08-08 06:36:34

No, Subutex is not an opioid blocker. Suboxone is one. What is the difference? To understand it, you need to understand the active ingredients of these drugs. Subutex is made of buprenorphine while Suboxone is 80% made of buprenorphine and 20% of naloxone. In the case of Subutex, it attaches itself to neuroreceptors but it does not fully activate them as heroin does. Naloxone is the blocking substance, but it is not present in Subutex.

Answered: 2019-08-08 00:12:03

Subutex only blocks your craving for heroin or whatever opioid you are addicted to. That’s all. It’s kind of dumb to believe that it is a blocker just because it’s used in treatment. Just Google it if you want to know more.

We want to listen to your answers