Login as a User

can you donate plasma while on suboxone

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Suboxone
  4. >
  5. can you donate plasma while on suboxone

Asked: 2019-02-20 11:56:16

I know my life hasn't been the best or the smartest a person has gone through in life. I have made mistakes and owned up to them with those closest to me. So, when I started making smarter decisions, one of them was wanting to give blood to people. I know some people might be hesitant to want blood from someone who is an addict. This is why i need your help. Does anyone know if you are allowed to donate plasma while on suboxone? I'm on suboxone now and want to know since i plan on doing it if i'm able to.

Answered: 2019-02-20 15:48:15

I'm pretty sure it's okay if you take suboxone. But you should always clear it with your doctor or whoever is going to take your blood if you are really able to by being honest with them.

Answered: 2019-02-21 16:14:43

Suboxone might not impede your ability to give plasma but other medications might so look them up to be sure. I don't want to list all of them for you so do this research on your own.

Answered: 2019-02-22 06:33:45

If you are on suboxone, you should be able to donate plasma. However, you should always go over your medical history when you go to ensure you are able to donate.

Answered: 2019-02-21 08:07:39

You might be able to give blood if you take suboxone. It isn't on the list of medications that you shouldn't donate plasma if you take them.

Answered: 2019-02-20 20:46:36

You should be able to donate since suboxone isn't known as a drug that can effect a person's ability to donate their plasma. There are however, other medications that might effect your ability to donate plasma, so always stay up to date on those.

Answered: 2020-10-15 11:19:58

I tried donating after I had previously taken suboxone in the past. I wasn't even on it at that time. They told me I could never donate plasma again if I had taken Suboxone, Subutex, or Methadone. Something about it gets and stays in your bones

Answered: 2020-12-22 20:10:59

NO you can not donate taking subutex or suboxone... It's a protein binding agent it will throw you in withdrawal... Hickory nc plasma center just told me that...

Answered: 2021-01-03 20:44:59

I was just told at a plasma donation place in Maine that I could not donate plasma while on Suboxone. And that I needed a letter from my HCP (Heath care professional) saying I was on Suboxone for pain and not addiction

Answered: 2021-06-09 22:44:59

Can I still donate if I am on subutex

Answered: 2021-10-14 22:59:18

I just want to ked plasma and I didn't get to donate because I was on Suboxone

Answered: 2021-10-14 23:05:33

I just want to ked plasma and I was told I can not donate because I was honest and told them I take suboxone

Answered: 2021-10-14 23:06:37

I was told I can not donate plasma at ked plasma because I was honest and told them I take suboxone

Answered: 2021-12-02 23:48:18

I just left there and couldn't donate because of that. I am calling someone about it because its not even listed on there list of medications. I also only have taken it for pain and not because of addiction or rehab. So yeah such bs.

Answered: 2021-12-18 20:26:20

You can donate blood & plasma, HOWEVER, if you tell them you are taking or have taken suboxtone, they will NOT allow you too. They assume that people on suboxtone are past heroine addicts & due to past needle use ASSUMPTIONS, they will flag you. They can not check your medical history at these plasma centers, so if you would like to donate, & it is not a threat to your health safety, implement the "Don't tell" rule. They only check for illegal drugs & the suboxtone will not affect the plasma you are donating. The plasma is put through a process that suboxtone or methadone WILL NOT AFFECT what the plasma is used for. I know because I am a plasma donating person. I have had 6 surgeries & was in pain management in between. Sometimes getting off pain meds is the best option & sometimes suboxtone is the only way certain people can get off of them. Not everyone on synthetic opiods is an ex heroine user, or IV drug user, like they assume.

Answered: 2022-09-02 16:31:46

If you are an "addict" at all, you are not supposed to donate at all due to risk of infection. I am on Suboxone (been on it for a year now) I recently donated plasma after not being completely honest with the donation center, slight withdrawals started while I was in the chair donating besides that everything was fine. A little over 24hours later I started withdrawing hard even while taking my medications correctly. My husband is also on Suboxone & donated plasma with me, he has not experienced anything besides light headedness yesterday afternoon

Answered: 2022-09-02 16:31:46

If you are an "addict" at all, you are not supposed to donate at all due to risk of infection. I am on Suboxone (been on it for a year now) I recently donated plasma after not being completely honest with the donation center, slight withdrawals started while I was in the chair donating besides that everything was fine. A little over 24hours later I started withdrawing hard even while taking my medications correctly. My husband is also on Suboxone & donated plasma with me, he has not experienced anything besides light headedness yesterday afternoon

Answered: 2022-11-09 16:23:15

I was just permanently deferred for being on suboxone.

Answered: 2023-01-15 13:38:08

I was told by two different plasma centers being on suboxone wouldn't be a problem because it wasn't on the list of prohibited medications. Buuut on the final step just before the donation they both ran my medications, medical history, etc through some computer system and it flagged me as ineligible because of the suboxone. I never could get anyone to explain what it is about suboxone that makes you ineligible, or why it wasn't on the list of prohibited medications. You can smoke crack and use other street drugs and donate plasma no problem, but if your trying to get your stuff together no dice. I was taking such a small dose it never once showed up on a drug screen. They told me I'd have to come back with a note from the prescribing physician stating that I was no longer taking the medication and hadn't been for over two years. I quit taking suboxone close to a year ago now, and I advise everyone being treated outpatient for opioid dependency to do your own research. You'll likely find yourself more, or at least as knowledgeable as your doctor at some point. The vast majority of doctors who are prescribing suboxone know very little about its long term (side-)effects, their MO is what is called "harm reduction". In short the idea is that its safer for you to take suboxone long-term (or even indefinitely) rather than risk relapsing. "Harm reduction" while necessary initially shouldn't be seen as a long term goal, the end goal is and should always be recovery. I took that medication for ten years before I discovered through my own research that it's not recommended for more than a year and a half. I literally spent 8 years struggling with severe depression, chronic fatigue, lowered sense of self awareness and self destructive behavior (ie binge drinking), and all the while of the above were well documented side-effects from long term use. My advice??? Do your own research on matters pertaining to your own health and that of those you love. Regardless of how great your doctor may be if they dismiss your concerns out of hand it's time to find a new doctor. One last (and most important) bit of advice, if your truly insearch of healing the only place/person to turn to is the Lord Jesus Christ. Now when I look back on everything I see how truly blessed I am. Not only because he carried me through all the heartache and hardship in the past, but because he still continues to today.

Answered: 2023-07-04 15:52:45

To me it doesn’t make any sense why you can’t donate plasma if you EVER took a maintance drug unless it was for pain. We are not in the 1900’s any more. There are more addicts then sober people now. I was just turned down and was permanently put on on the deffered list because I am an recovering addict who was on maintance. It was humiliating to me not just for my past decisions and choices and for now telling me I cannot help a person in need out. Just because I was honest. But yet as I am sitting here typing this a person was using drugs next to the building and able to donate. I will never understand the world I am living in.

We want to listen to your answers