Login as a User

why does suboxone cause constipation

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Suboxone
  4. >
  5. why does suboxone cause constipation

Asked: 2019-12-27 17:32:08

My wife has been on suboxone for two days and she says she's never felt more constipated in her life. Is this a normal side effect and if so, what's causing it? What can I do to help her?

Answered: 2019-12-28 04:31:38

Leave her alone in the bathroom - jeez give a woman some privacy! Who wants to know about her constipation?

Answered: 2019-12-27 21:23:12

I'm constipated too! I've been on suboxone for a month now and my bowel movements have been far and few in between. That's okay though, because this medication is helping me get better and I think I'll actually be able to kick my addiction to the curb this time around. Just tell your wife to hang in there and she should be okay soon. It's worth it!

Answered: 2019-12-28 13:19:42

Constipation is listed as one of the side effects of suboxone. As a long-acting opioid, suboxone continues to effect the body without slower periods that would enable bowel movements. In other words, suboxone takes a long time to exit the body and stop working. During the time that suboxone is in the body, bowel movements become more difficult which leads to constipation. If her constipation gets really bad she can speak to her doctor about enemas or suppositories, which could alleviate some of her pain and symptoms. I hope this gives you a better understanding of what's happening to your wife's body right now as she's on suboxone.

Answered: 2019-12-28 05:54:38

My husband has been on suboxone for five days and he hasn't been able to go to the bathroom. It's a bummer for him and he's definitely uncomfortable, as I'm sure your wife is, but the doctors assured us this is a normal side effect and eventually his bowel movements will return to normal. If your wife gets really concerned she can ask her doctor for an enema or something similar.

Answered: 2019-12-28 16:46:11

I took suboxone last year and I experienced constipation too. This is a normal side effect and there's no cause for added alarm. Your wife should be able to speak up if it gets really bad and she's need assistance with a bowel movement, such as with a suppository.

We want to listen to your answers